Plenty of Ice is a blog about good drinks, good friends, good conversation…aka, the meaning of life… brought to you by me, Lynn Johnson, and my buddy, Doug Gary.
My friends tell me I am the best amateur mixologist they know and have been encouraging me to start this blog for a long time. Because drinks are at the heart of all of my favorite social moments, I write as much about entertaining and good times with friends as much as the drinks themselves.
Here are some things that might be helpful to know about me:
- Bourbon is my spirit of choice and the Manhattan is my go-to cocktail (although I have been preferring them with rye lately…hmm…)
- Every morning I drink PG Tips with steamed soy milk and raw sugar in a large ceramic mug. I get kinda cranky if I can’t get this exact drink.
- I prefer white wines to reds and, even though it’s hella outta fashion these days, I love a big-oaked California Chardonnay.
- You may be able to tell from use of the word “hella” that I live in Oakland, CA. I live there with my wife, Allison, 2 small, obnoxious, adorable dogs, and our daughter, a 6 year old whom we are in the midst of adopting through foster care. You can read more about that adventure here.
- My second favorite spirit is Tequila. I love Tequila! Gin is fantastic but doesn’t quite agree with me. I don’t like Vodka but I always have a bottle on hand. Just in case.
- As for rum, one of my favorite cocktails ever is the Mai Tai at The Conga Lounge in Oakland (which just sadly closed…forever…). I have tried a ton of Mai Tais all over the country and still have not found one as good.
- In my work life, I am a theater teaching artist and social entrepreneur dedicated to education, youth development, and social change. I, along with my wife, am the co-founder/owner of Go Girls! Camp where we are “igniting a Compassion Revolution by putting girls center stage.”
Lynn created Plenty of Ice and she’s let me crash the party, sobriety optional. I was basically alcohol-free for the first 30 or so years of my life. Having missed various rites of passage and other good times, I’ve been catching up fast with a deep commitment to making, drinking, and talking about fine cocktails. To me, the flavors of a great drink enrich the food and the company that surround them.
Here are a few things you might want to know:
- I’m a whiskey/whisky guy. Scotch, bourbon, and rye are my three favorites in that order. Ask me tomorrow and the order may have changed. But it is all about whiskey for me whether neat, on the rocks, or in a spectacular cocktail. Except I love gin, too.
- Vodka was my starter spirit some years ago and I felt the need to move on. I’ve rarely found a tequila cocktail I love, but the quest continues. I have lots of learning to do on the rum front.
- I’m vegan, I don’t drink wine, and beer doesn’t really move me. There, I said it.
- I live in the El Cerrito Bay Area as we like to call it up there. My husband Johnny and I have been together for 21 years. Johnny is quick to proudly proclaim he’s driven me to drink. We are in the midst of the foster/adoption process and are super excited to welcome a new person to our family later this year if all goes as planned. I’ve learned a lot through this process and I’ve made some wonderful friends, including Lynn.
- I have the privilege of working at Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing in San Francisco, which I co-founded and co-direct with the amazing Lauren Hall who you can read about here. We at DISH believe that everyone deserves a home. Every day, we provide high-quality, permanent housing to San Franciscans who suffer from serious health issues—because with our help, they can get off the streets, rebuild their lives, and strengthen our communities.
- My background is in the theater and I love the arts, especially contemporary “classical” music and daring theater, dance, and opera. I also love to travel, listen to music, read, hike, nap, and enjoy the company of dear friends. I like to drink cocktails, too.
We would love it if you wanted to drop us a line!
[contact-form to=’firstname.lastname@example.org’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]